FROM B/W TO COLOR
Franco Bucci (1933-2002), the renowned potter/ceramicist of Italy, founded the Laboratorio Pesaro in the small city of Pesaro on the east coast of Italy almost directly due east of Florence in 1961. Since the 1950s, Bucci had created pottery that was design-art-utensil-object for day to day use. He was the rare artist that never lost sight of the end usage of his products. He had pledged early on to see his ware used in households throughout the world. But many of his designs ended up in museums. The Salone Internazionale del Mobile in Milan until the end of the 80s reserved a permanent spot for Bucci's new creations.
In 1958 the famous Sextant Gallery staged a show in Milan for Bucci who was until then unknown in Milan which was the center of the design universe in Europe. In Milan, Bucci met Ettore Sottsass and others and had remained life-long friends with them. Bucci, being the consummate craftsman, was forever experimenting with decreasing the thickness & weight, increasing the temperature resistance and strength of his porcelain. Also being a man of conscience, his laboratory was constantly developing non-toxic and safe material combinations for his products. Bucci the artist and designer, however, was forever in the forefront of European tastemakers and pacesetters.
Franco Bucci and Federico Fabbrini were great friends and colleagues long before the formation of the Laboratorio Pesaro. They collaborated on and off since 1958 when Fabbrini open his workshop near Florence. From 1969 to 1973 both Bucci and Fabbrini worked as designers with Villeroy & Boch of Germany.
While Bucci was a forward looking designer of superb taste in the Modern, Fabbrini was a traditionalist. While Bucci was a worldly artist never timid in incorporating Oriental and Scandinavian ideas and techniques in his own work, Fabbrini was very much into reviving the traditional Italian arts and crafts. His ceramic puppet series was Art in itself.